If you’re looking for storage for your car or extra stuff, or just need to put your household goods in a safe piece while you go traveling in the summer, there are some things to keep in mind. Even if you’ve stored your belongings or cars before, it always helps to review some storage unit tips. Whether you’re storing personal belongings or looking for car storage units, the same concerns for security, cleanliness and weatherproofing apply.
Storage unit tips
First of all, if possible, visit the facility once before you move your things in. This will give you a chance to look around and check for things like security and cleanliness. Most basic storage unit tips advise you to keep the following in mind when picking a storage facility:
- Are the facility and the storage units clean? Will you feel comfortable leaving your belongings – including couch, mattresses, music, books, kitchen things and clothes – in this environment for months? Will the unit stay dry? Concrete storage units are better at keeping out rain and moisture and in hurricane-prone areas, add an extra layer of protection for your belongings.
- What about security? Is access to the facility regulated? Some storage facilities have barriers or electronic gates that can only be opened by people who are actually storing things there. Is there a staff person on site 24/7? What about the hallways and elevators? Are they well lighted and clean?
- Is the unit easy to access? Are all the storage units at ground level, or will you have to lug your belongings up elevators and down long hallways? Can you drive up to the unit for easy loading and unloading?
- Can you access your belongings in the self storage unit at any time of day or night, any day of the week, or does the facility operate only during business hours?
- For facilities that offer winter car storage and RV storage, is the storage clean, dry and weather-proof? One important reason for car storage is that it helps to prevent weather-related damage. Will your car, RV or boat be safe in this facility?
- It also helps if the facility has the flexibility to extend your storage unit rental if needed. Some facilities will allow you to call to extend your rental and make a payment over the phone. If you’re traveling or apartment-hunting, this can be a big help.
Whether you’re storing your personal belongings or your car, boat or RV, your goal is to keep your things safe, dry and protected from the weather. Finding the right storage facility can help you do just that. We hope you found these storage unit tips helpful!